NEXT Church is looking for a church-savvy communications specialist to help us sharpen and deepen our communications presence online and in print. To apply, please send resume and letter of intent to NEXT Church Director, Jessica Tate: email@example.com. We are hoping for a quick turnaround, so let us know soon if you are interested!
approximately 10 hours/week
(with recognition that some weeks will require more time and some less)
Reports to: NEXT Church Director
Accountable to: NEXT Church Director and Strategy Team
Status: Independent Contract, 6 months, with possibility of renewal
The communications specialist will help move NEXT Church into deeper and more effective communications strategy in print and online. S/he will expand and enrich online network and offerings. S/he will help develop and manage the voice of NEXT Church.
Develop and manage communication and social media strategy for NEXT Church, including:
- Increasing our online reach by working with NEXT Church director to schedule blog topics and themes, recruit writers, solicit work, edit and post content, and push to social media.
- Developing and implementing process and content for MailChimp email blasts with a goal of increasing regularity and usefulness.
- Implementing website updates (immediate) and redesign (longer-term), including visioning and content development.
- Supporting the success of regional and national gatherings, including: designing flyers (print and online), publicizing these events through online channels (website, FB, Twitter), highlighting leadership of these events through content on the website prior to the gathering, posting to social media throughout the gathering and/or delegating this responsibility to volunteers, work with on-site AV personnel to ensure livestream of content and seamless transition of recorded content to website. Attendance at the national gathering will be necessary.
- Providing technical support for webinars and roundtables.
- Develop and implement strategy for NEXT Church printed materials, including design.
- Work with NEXT Church director to define, strengthen, and empower a communications team to carry out ongoing work of communications once strategy is set.
- Monitoring the NEXT Church online presence and mentions by others and respond as appropriate.
- Recommend to the Strategy Team new strategies in communications and content to make the online NEXT network more robust.
- Participation in Executive and Strategy Team meetings when requested (in person and via conference call).
Mission Ownership – Demonstrates understanding and full support of the mission and values of NEXT Church. Consistently embodies beliefs and values of NEXT Church in behavioral choices and online presence.
Initiative – Self-starting and regulating. Enjoys working hard. Sets demanding but achievable objectives.
Attention to Detail and Aesthetic Awareness – tends to small details while keeping larger picture in mind, resolves unanswered questions to address a problem, demonstrates awareness for cleanliness, functionality, and beauty of space, including online and print materials
Theological Maturity – Shows strong personal depth and spiritual grounding in the Reformed tradition. Awareness of issues facing the PC(USA). Ability to articulate consistent theological voice.
Creativity and Innovation – Generates new ideas. Makes new connections among existing ideas to create fresh approaches. Takes acceptable risks in pursuit of innovation and learns from mistakes.
Written Communication – Writes clearly and succinctly, employs correct grammar, punctuation and patterns of speech. Clearly delivers message in a tone appropriate to the context.
Technical Expertise, including:
- WordPress, Facebook, Twitter, Mailchimp, Join.me, Google docs, Drop Box, Vimeo, Asana
Hourly fee for service: $17/hour, plus expenses related to travel on behalf of NEXT Church.
Questions? Ask NEXT Director, Jessica Tate — firstname.lastname@example.org